Monday, January 11, 2010

The Lovely Bones

Hey! So, last time I wrote I told you that I was reading The Lovely Bones. What a read! I absolutely loved it and read the entire thing in 2 days. If you don't know anything about it I'll give a brief synopsis. The story is about the murder of a young girl and her journey through the afterlife, as well as her family's journey to find her killer and life without their eldest child.

To be 100% honest with you, the only reason I picked this book up was because there is going to be a movie adaptation released on Friday. Now, I will tell you that numerous people recommended this book to me, and that I even picked up a hard cover copy of it on clearance at Barns & Noble, but it had ben sitting on my bookshelf and probably would have continued to sit there had a movie not been made.

It wasn't the best written piece of fiction that I have ever read, but it was definitely entertaining and held me captive the entire time I read it. It also made me think. As I read, I began to ponder what it would be like to sit in "my" heaven and watch my family and the people that I love here on earth. Would I find joy in watching everyone learn how to go on with life without me, or would I be tormented to watch the people I love and not be able to communicate with them? I also began to think about what would be in my heaven. Would there be an ideal Trinity where I could study everything that interested me without the worry of tests and papers? Would Shadow and William (my dogs) be there? What about Chass and Grandpa? Then I started to think about the people that I have loved that are no longer here on earth. Chass, my grandpa, my great grandparents, and that made me think about what things are like in heaven for them. Do they have a window to the things going on down here? Do they see me and the other people that they knew and loved here on earth? Do they stand at our sides through the trials and milestones in our lives? What about other people, do they make friends with other people in heaven or know the people that they knew here on earth?

I don't have the answers to any of these questions, but I love that a book made me ponder them, I think that is the mark of a good book, something that captivates you and makes you think. I am now onto book number 2 and later this week I will be blogging all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment